We are open every Sunday from 10:00 until 12:30 and in May-June we are open on Friday evenings too.
Benhill-Crescent Horticultural Society is an active not-for-profit society for allotment holders and gardeners, based at the Benhill Allotment site in Benhill Road, Sutton.
With origins going back to 1957, the society currently has approximately 250 members from around the borough and beyond.
Even if you’re not an allotment holder, you can become a member and take advantage of the great prices at the Trading Hut.
You can also be part of the many social events throughout the year, sharing expertise, time and fun with like-minded people. Most events are free and all members are welcome to attend.
Call in to the Trading Hut at Benhill Road on any Sunday morning to join.
An allotment at Benhill
Every year we select a charity to support.
The Diamond Centre for Disabled Riders provides therapeutic riding and carriage driving for children and adults with disabilities.
As part of the Riding for the Disabled Association (RDA), The Diamond Centre exists to provide disabled people with the opportunity to ride, carriage drive or vault at the level of their ability to benefit their health and well being.
Find out more about BCHS Supporting Charity
The rules for showing are:
• Only Members of the Benhill-Crescent Horticultural Society may enter exhibits.
• Children may enter exhibits for the Junior Sections
• Entry fees: All Classes 20p per entry
Junior Classes Free
• Two or more people may not compete separately in the same class with produce from the same garden and/or allotment (this does not apply to Floral Art).
• Exhibitors must have grown all produce for at least 3 months prior to the show, except in the floral art classes.
• Entries are to be with the Show Secretary, Graham Cockram, by 6pm on the afternoon prior to the show for the Allotment Holders Show and by 6pm on the Thursday before the Autumn Show. Late entries will be charged double and are accepted only at the Show Secretary’s discretion.
• A novice is a person who has not won a first prize at any show in the specified section in which he/she is exhibiting. Prizes awarded in novice sections will not count towards trophies.
• Prize money and points awarded (unless otherwise stated in the schedule):
1st - £2.00 2nd - £1.00 3rd - 50p
1st - 6 points 2nd - 3 points 3rd - 2 points
• The judge’s decision is final in all cases.
• Judging is to be in accordance with National Society rules (RHS, NCS, NDS and NVS), where appropriate.
• Staging is from 9.00 - 11.30am on the day of the show (judging starts at 12 noon). Exhibitors are asked to leave the Show Hall by 11.30am to give the stewards an opportunity to check exhibits before judging.
• The Autumn Show opens to the public at 2pm
• Prizes will be presented at approximately 12.30pm at the Benhill Allotment Holders Show and approximately 4.00pm at the Autumn Show. Exhibits must remain staged until this time.
• Exhibitors must clear away their entries at the end of the show.